During puberty, young girls face many emotional and physical changes. Various matters concerning gynaecological and sexual health should be addressed sensitively, taking at the same time into account the latest scientific facts.
Adolescent girl’s visit at the gynaecologist may include the following::
- Abdominal or vaginal ultrasound examination of the uterus and ovaries, depending whether sexual intercourse has occurred
- Treatment of gynaecological conditions like menstrual disorder and vaginal infections
- Information about breast examination
- Information about contraceptive methods
- Papanicolaou test in the case of commenced sexual activity
- Vaccination against HPV virus
- Counselling about personal hygiene and sexual health
- Raising awareness about the importance of annual check up
The foundation of gynaecological health is set from a woman’s early years. The visit of the adolescent to the gynaecologist appears to be one of the most important investments that assure the woman’s future health.